The software monitors hard disk drive / HDD status, including health, temperature and all S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology, built in most hard disks and solid state disks today) values for each disks. Also it measures the disk transfer speed in real time which can be used as a benchmark or to detect possible hard disk failures, performance degradations.
HDSentinel is the perfect data protection solution: it can be effectively used to prevent HDD failure and SSD / HDD data loss because it has the most sensitive hard disk health rating system which is extremely sensitive to hard disk problems. This way even a small HDD problem can't be missed. The Professional version has scheduled and automatic (on-problem) hard disk backup options to prevent data loss caused by not only failure but by malware or accidental delete also.
Hard Disk Sentinel software system requirements
- Hardware Requirements
- Pentium or compatible CPU
- 32 megabytes of system memory
- 15 megabytes of hard disk space
- One or more hard disk or solid state disk with ATA (IDE or Serial ATA/SATA II), SCSI, SAS, USB interface.
- See Hardware compatibility pages for supported hard disk
drives, SSD models, disk controllers and external hard disks /
enclosures / adapters.
- Other type of external disks (IEEE 1394 or used in NAS enclosures and connected via Ethernet) are NOT supported because the hard disk controller chip in the external enclosure does not support the detection of hard disk status (S.M.A.R.T.) information.
- Software Requirements
- Windows operating system (Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT4, 2000, XP,
2003, 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows Home Server, Windows 8) both 32
and 64 bit versions
- System administrator account (in service mode, it is possible to use without administrator rights and without even user logged in)
Improvements and new features, improved hardware support:
• important update for hard disks / SSDs connected to motherboards with Intel chipsets
• important update for multi-drive enclosures (port multiplier and RAID enclosures)
• important update for various SSDs (Corsair Force GT SSDs, Samsung SSDs, etc.)
• display progress (% complete) on application button during hard disk surface test
• improved support of VANTEX HX4R, Chieftec, Sans Digital external RAID enclosures
• improved support for LSI SAS/SATA RAID controllers and DELL SAS/SATA RAID controllers
• improved support and health detection for various Seagate hard disks, for example Seagate Thin hard disks and Seagate hard disks with special firmware
• improved support for Areca RAID controllers, accessing hard disks and SSDs in different connected enclosures, displaying enclosure number and slot number
• improved support of JMicron JMB36X / Gigabyte GBB36X / HighPoint / VIA RAID controllers under Windows 2003
• added support for newer WD hard disk (WD RED, WD Enterprise RE, etc.)
• support of HighPoint 4522 RAID controller: detecting and displaying connected SATA hard disks (standalone and configured as RAID)
Bug fixes, further modifications:
• fixed periodic false alarms reported by older Intel chipset drivers (providing invalid S.M.A.R.T. information)
• fixed invalid S.M.A.R.T. information reported by LSI SAS RAID controllers for standalone (non-RAID) SATA drives
• fixed display of volume labels in hard disk selector (upper left area) if one or more partitions have no assigned logical drive letter
• general improvements for Chinese language, fixed hard disk temperature symbol in Sidebar Gadget when Chinese language used
• fixed warranty check for Samsung hard disk drives
• fixed startup problem with Drobo enclosures / devices
• improved real time performance graph display
• improved and more stable dynamic DNS update function